SOUTH GEORGIA

Located 1,100 miles east of Tierra del Fuego in the South Atlantic, South Georgia issued its first stamps in February 1944. For the purpose, Falkland Islands stamps were overprinted SOUTH GEORGIA / DEPENDENCY OF in red. Definitive stamps inscribed with the name of this territory were issued in July 1963. The 16 defintive values depicted penguins, reindeers, whales, fur seals, elephant seals, sooty albatross, leopard seals, wandering albatross, plankton and krill, a map of the South Sandwich Islands, a whale catcher, and Shackleton’s Cross. Today the stamps of this territory are inscribed South Georgia & The South Sandwich Islands”. “

Showing all 15 results