AEGEAN ISLANDS: CASTELROSSO
In 1913 KASTELLORIZON (aka MEGHISTI), an island 70 km east of RHODES) rebelled against Turkey and was occupied in 1915 by the French Navy for strategic and espionage reasons. Later on with the Treaty of Sevres – 10 August 1920 – France ceded CASTELROSSO to Italy: however, the island became part of the Italian Dodecanese (Aegean Islands) only on 1 March 1922, when Italian forces landed on it. Italian definitive stamps overprinted CASTELROSSO” were issued on 11 July 1922 for use on the island. In 1923 a 5-value pictorial set featuring the map of the island and the Italian flag was issued. Additional Italian definitive stamps were overprinted diagonally in 1924. “CASTELROSSO” overprints were used on the Ferrucci (1930) and the Garibaldi (1932) sets issued by Italy. At the end of World War II the island was returned to Greece.
Showing all 3 results