2014 NUCLEAR LABORATORIES STRIP OF 4 v Mint never Hinged
Catalog #: Sassone #0
Condition: 2014 NUCLEAR LABORATORIES STRIP OF 4 v Mint never Hinged
Item Id #: 12006
2 in stock
16 September 2014
Four se-tenant â‚¬ 0.70 stamps – National Nuclear Laboratories
Against the background of tracks left by particles revealed with the cloud chamber, the four stamps depict respectively: National Labs of Frascati: the experimental Kloe accelerator of particles; – Gran Sasso National Labs: view of Borexino experiment for the detection of neutrinos; – Legnaro National Labs: a detail of the gamma ray detector Agata; National Labs of the South: inside view of the K800 superconducting cyclotron. All the four stamps feature the logo of the National Institute of Nuclear Physics.
The National Institute for Nuclear Physics (INFN) is the Italian research agency dedicated to the study of the fundamental constituents of matter and the laws that govern them, under the supervision of the Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR). Groups from the Universities of Rome, Padua, Turin, and Milan founded the INFN on 8th August 1951 to uphold and develop the scientific tradition established during the 1930s by Enrico Fermi and his school, with their theoretical and experimental research in nuclear physics. In the latter half of the 1950s the INFN designed and built the first Italian accelerator, the electron synchrotron developed in Frascati, where its first national laboratory was set up. During the same period, the INFN began to participate in research into the construction and use of ever-more powerful accelerators being conducted by CERN, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, in Geneva. Today the INFN employs some 5,000 scientists whose work is recognised internationally not only for their contribution to various European laboratories, but also to numerous research centres worldwide.